For those participating in the 24-hour fast, you will be skipping breakfast and lunch today (Remember to continue drinking fluids during this fast). Tonight Redeemer will be gathering for a prayer meeting and breaking the fast together afterwards.
In Philippians 3, Paul speaks of those who “put confidence in the flesh” and look to and trust in their resumes of righteousness. In opposing such a view, he lists his background, a background which any first century Jew would be proud to possess. Paul calls and considers his past genealogy and accomplishments as rubbish when compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ.
Like Paul, we are called to constantly seek after how we might “gain Christ.” We want to know Him, to see Him, to partake in Him and to become more like Him. This is our goal and hope. Here at Redeemer, we use the language of “following Jesus.” What will help us follow closer?
Weekly attendance, growing community groups, -- all of these are wonderful opportunities that we want to be faithful in for His kingdom, but above all we simply want whatever will bring us more of Christ.
Reflection and Intercession:
- Can you agree with Paul and count all things as loss and rubbish?
- Is your one overarching and underlying desire to get more of Christ?
- Confess any affections which compete for your attention.
- Praise God for the gift of His Son.
- Praise God that He has promised that all things will work together to conform us to Christ’s image (Romans 8:28-30).
- Ask God to cultivate in yourself and our church a deeper passion for the person of Jesus Christ.
- Ask God to grant our elders and pastors wisdom and insight into what will allow us to experience greater depths of knowing Christ.